Friday, November 2, 2007

What is wrong with this picture?




Anyone with a quick mind will notice immediately. There are large silly looking birds sitting quietly under a cypress tree. They aren't flying or squawking. They are near a dog but they don't mind because it is a little plastic dog and not a little red real dog. Think of the fun I missed. I guess I am still a little hurt by recent events. The betrayed heart is slow to heal.

However, it was a fine day anyway. First of all, I awoke in my own bed, deep in my Person's blankets. When I bounded down the hall the cats, who had been waiting like silent statues, each in his own pool of morning light, scattered like buckshot and peered down from counter tops as I ran by. I cleared the morning yard of squirrels and and ate a hearty breakfast and enjoyed my morning walk immensely. I waved my tail at the sky and I crouched in the dry oak leaves which match me almost to perfection and then I kicked them high. I broke into a graceful trot on a steep slope and was unfazed by the thunderous stomps of my loyal Person following behind me. Later in the day I barked at the substitute mail carrier and visited my Auntie and barked at her UPS man. Though I was relegated to the back yard I found treats like dead moles to occupy myself with. And so the long afternoon stretched on to a golden end and I am ready for my supper and a nap. And then dreams of tomorrow with crackling leaves and blinking sun and cats to chase and treats to eat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, it is so good to have you back, Finn! And glad you feel up to posting so soon after your recent Betrayal.

If I can tell you only one thing in your long life ahead, it's this: do not worry about plastic dogs! Heck, these might be words to live by for all of us.

And you know, it may not be much comfort, but I KNOW that your Person missed you immensely. Things are back to normal now, glad you're getting your usual Red Dog kick out of life.
You're the best Red Dog in the Western Hemisphere, that's a given.

Oh, and it wasn't a mole, Finn, it was a vole, not a huge diffrence, but one is subterranean and one is 'superficial'.
See you again soon,
veecee

Finnegan said...

Hmmm - I should have known that by taste but all I can say is it tasted like chicken!

Finn