Monday, November 5, 2007

Everydog


Who is that standing out here in the cold, waiting for you to walk him? Is it your friend, your pet, your confidante, your buddy? I'll tell you who is standing out here waiting patiently and with only a few leaps at the door knob while you look for where you misplaced my harness and leash and while you email one more person and put on your jacket and finish your coffee and grab a pocketful of treats and put on your warm shoes and gloves and go back to get a handkerchief and finally get out the door. It is me. Everydog.

That is what my Person calls me anyway. At first I didn't know what she meant. I thought she couldn't tell that all dogs weren't me (she's a bit dim sometimes) and then I thought she meant I was the only dog left and I was pretty happy about that but it was clear after one walk around the neighborhood that it wasn't the case.

I think I have it figured out. I look like a Dog. An Archetypal dog. A blank slate, and everyone's image of dogdom. Everydog. People think they know me and what I am like and they want it confirmed. We are constantly stopped and questioned as I prance and my Person stomps along beside me. "What kind of dog is that?"

Must I be something? Can't I just be a little red dog out for a walk? Today we were stopped by a UPS man on his route. The familiar question once again. But I got even. I barked at his truck as he drove away. I don't think I am Everydog, but I am a dog after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Finn, a.k.a. Everydog (but not by me, to me you are and always will be Red Dog, and that's enough!):
Do you realize how pensive you look in most of your blog photos? Now, I know you have a thoughtful side,
but you're such a merry little dog, too. There's the prancing thing, and the bounding thing, and the tearing around the dog park thing. And especially the 'Of COURSE I'll eat that!' thing. Yes, indeed, you have a happy side. Hope you grin for the camera soon!
All the best, keep those UPS drivers moving,
veecee