Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Inside and out



I've been watching the birds. Today I have seen nuthatches and chickadees, cardinals and blue jays, a red bellied woodpecker and a hairy woodpecker and a downy woodpecker, a goldfinch and a house finch. And lots of sparrows. I think they are all amazing. They are so delicate and strong. They stay out in the cold and don't even wear socks. They have to do so much to stay alive and all they have to work with are two wings and a beak.

Imagine if you tied your hands or paws in back of you and tried to catch your breakfast, build your house, fend off foes, take a bath, peel your food, feed your family, all with your pointed nose. I know of some REALLY sharp-nosed types and I think they would still have a hard time of it. My Person tells me I am a remarkable little red dog, and I don't think I could do it. This made me think that life is easy for those of us who live inside and hard for those of us who live outside. And thinking this made me feel very tired so I went to bed and snuggled under the blankets with my pointed nose and then I fell asleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so right, Red Dog, birds are almost as
remarkable as you are!
veecee