Thursday, November 15, 2007

Ordinary delights


Today was much like yesterday and much different. That is kind of a rule around here. Some routine, some wild variety. For instance I had two medium-length walks instead of one long walk. This broke up my day in an interesting way and I did not succumb to long hours of thinking but napped, trotted around stirring up dust and cats and mischief, more naps, a few nose prods to my Person's leg, occasional rewards, occasional scoldings. (Just because I sat on top of Ollie!)

Routine makes me happy though and my walks make me happiest of all. The river is always where it should be, surrounded by trees and grass and a nice path. The leaf litter is scented by the toes of squirrels and raccoons and foxes and even other dogs. The crows are always there to guard the trees against hawks and owls, while the nuthatches are pipping and the chickadees dee-ing and the cardinals calling almost like woodpeckers; they never grow tiresome no matter how often you see them.

They say variety is the spice of life but what I like the best are the ordinary everyday things I share with my Person.

No comments: