Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A sense of purpose

As usual, and like a good little red dog should, I am doing my duty: playing with my cousin to keep him out of trouble. The poor squirrel toy is getting the worst of it but life exacts a certain amount of wear and tear from all of us.























I have been thinking about sense of purpose. I have my own reasons for taking up space - to sniff up as many good smells as I can, to rid the world of squirrels, to keep Adric the cat in line and to monitor all comings and goings on my street. But I have larger obligations as well. I have to make sure my Person doesn't freeze to death at night by making sure I sleep on her side of the bed along with her. I have to make sure my cat brothers do not sink into unbroken sloth by pouncing on them occasionally. It sharpens up their reflexes and keeps them alert to danger. I play with my toys to give my Person a reason to work hard so she can buy me more.

Sometimes those obligations to others seem to be a burden, but more often they make me very happy. They let me know I am part of a larger web of family and friends and they give me a greater sense of purpose. And most of all they keep that little white tail tip in motion!

No comments: