Friday, January 4, 2008

Basket of invisibility

My friend Adric is sharp in some ways: his claws, and his teeth and his ears are exceedingly pointed. His reflexes are pretty sharp too. But in other ways he is downright dull. Why do I think this? Because Adric's new favorite place to sit is in a basket. When he is in the basket he doesn't flinch when I give him a good stare or a mad rush. He thinks he is invisible.

Cats are always sitting in things - cubbyholes and linen cabinets, grocery bags and shoe boxes. There are many places to sit in my Person's house. Some are more advantageous for viewing birds outside, some are better situated for a sunny nap, some are soft and quiet, some are firm and businesslike. None of these places is in a cupboard or a box. Or a basket.

I have my own favorite places to sit: on my Person's pillow and on her lap and on her couch and on her chair. I know I am not invisible when I sit in any of these places because my person always pats me on the head when she walks nearby. She never looks right at me and asks of no one in particular, "Where is the little red dog? I can't see him anywhere."

I could tell Adric that he's all wrong about the basket of invisibility. Maybe I'll hide in the basket to show him that he can see me. But you know what cats do when they are caught out - they just pretend they were doing something else all along.

No comments: