Thursday, March 20, 2008

The mud is fine


This is a test. Let's see how waterproof your shoes are. Mine are leak tight!

This might not look too cheerful but it is - there is soft mud oozing between my toes and the air is almost balmy and there are some mergansers swimming near by. They seemed a bit perturbed by my interest - go figure. I would be complimented if someone peered at me with such interest. Maybe not with such avid interest. But I might be part duck toller so I might as well live the dream of my heritage.

Anyway, back to the mud. It is wonderful! Just a little ice and snow mixed in. Green grass poking up. And wouldn't you know, it is supposed to start snowing again. This is about the time of year my Person's forebearers disappeared into their sod huts and never came out again. It is easy to be discouraged.

Once the snow has retreated this far, it can only continue and soon this mud will be warm and inviting instead of cold and disheartening. So go stick your toe in some mud while you can because it might be going away again - but just for a little while.

No comments: