Tuesday, March 18, 2008

In the drink


It is what passes for spring up here in the northern reaches of the Midwest. And like many young and happening types I headed to the beach for a little spring break. Just so happens that my beach is an ice shelf. But like Greenland's, it is getting smaller all the time. Here I am about to take an unexpected swim when I broke off a big chunk.

The good news is that I am dressed for the occasion. You may notice I am wearing my bathing suit. It looks exactly like my running outfit, my dinner outfit, my underwear and my pjs. Don't tell anyone but they are all the same. I never change clothes. (And I almost never bathe - except by accident like today. My Person says I smell good anyway.)

Anyway, I am clothed in the most amazing thing since leisure suits. My outfit stretches when I do, is highly stain-resistant, and never bags at the knees. It is automatically thicker and warmer in the winter and skimpier in the summer. It never is out of style either. No ironing - I am a wash and wear little red dog. Except the wash part.

My Person was moaning about not knowing what to wear in this gradually warming weather. She's stashed away her sleeping bag coat and shelved her giant hat for the season but it sure isn't time for shorts yet, even if some people think so. (Listen up! Shorts and snow boots do NOT go together.) If only my Person had an amazing outfit like mine she'd be comfortable all year long, and when that ice shelf gives way under her she'll be dressed for the occasion!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Egad, Finn, did you really go in the drink?
Your duck toller genes must have kicked in, did
you swim in circles around the shoreline and did
those mergansers come over to see what you were up to?
Wish I'd seen this all unfold, I will have to come along
on one of your river treks one of these days.
Veecee

Kim Gordon said...

The terrier in me made me get out as soon as I got in. The comedian in my Person made her laugh so loud the mergansers swam away!