Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Running wild


It has been so cold that even the most intrepid have been hiding inside. Except me. I am like the post office. Or the myth of the post office. Neither sleet nor snow nor rain keep me from my appointed fun activities. Here I am sniffing the the river ice with my Person who is dressed unbecomingly as a sleeping bag, as usual.

I had a great adventure today at the river. While down on the frozen beach my Person dropped my leash. On purpose. To see if I would hang around. I took off like a shot.

I ran into the woods. I ran out on the ice. I ran back into the woods. I ran back out onto the ice. My Person walked along the shore and wrung her hands but she tried to show her trust in me. Every few minutes I would race toward her at top speed. This is a great gimmick and makes your Person feel like you really like them. Try it for effect. It will probably earn you some treats as well. This is what you call a win-win situation: your Person feels good, and a little red dog gets to do what he wants AND gets a treat for it.

After a long spate of wild running I got into a bit of a predicament. I raced up from the river and through the trees and up the side of the river gorge. Then I raced back down again and found myself on a ledge that was too far from the ground to jump off of. I was stuck!

I whined until my Person found me. But I was too high up for her to rescue me. Luckily, my Best Friend is visiting and he has extremely long arms (compared to me anyway) and he plucked me from my tight spot. After that I had to walk on my leash again. But that was okay. My Best Friend knows I need him to hang around more often. You never know when I might get into a jam.

No comments: