Saturday, February 2, 2008

Balancing act


Trying to balance the interests of two beings is more complicated than balancing on this crazy chair. My Person and I face the daily struggle of balancing how much she's suppose to entertain me against how much I am supposed to entertain her. You can imagine my point of view.

For example, today we had two hours of walking and two hours of me cooling my jets while she fiddled with her paints. My Person thinks we are even but the walking was for her benefit as much as mine. She is as interested in birds and squirrels as I am - she just doesn't carry the idea forward like I do to the "pounce on" stage. She's stuck at the "admire silently" stage.

But I am a reasonable little red dog and besides, I usually get my own back by taking up 95 percent of the couch when we read together. That takes a lot of stretching on my part. But maintaining a balanced relationship is worth all the hard work.

No comments: