Monday, February 4, 2008

Clean slate

I am a dog. I do not know what a slate is, or how you would know the difference between a clean one and a dirty one (and being smell-oriented tends to make me prefer dirty things anyway). But my person is big on symbols, especially visual symbols and I admit to taking on some of her ideas. Not many, but some.

Today is a snowy day and there is a nice soft layer of snow covering up the grime and ice and detritus of the past few weeks. A friendly snow as someone my Person used to know would say. She says that a snow like this is a visual symbol of a fresh start. You can make footprints on a path where maybe you've walked before but today it is like new territory. You don't have to see the scuffs where you slipped on the ice yesterday.

My Person says too many people around here are the end result of eons of peering alone into the fire at night near the frozen fjord and it makes them a little glum or apt to stew. But when you have a new coating of snow it is like being told you can start all over.

Some think the dog food dish is half empty, some think it is half full. I know for a fact that mine is completely empty but I know that every day it will get filled up again at some point. Just like every day I get to start over being a little red dog in a big world.

No comments: