Tuesday, December 4, 2007

More snow


The world seems quiet and gentle. The snow is deepening on the ground and muffles sounds from the human world. As the wind blows you can hear a thousand tiny tickings as icy snow crystals hit the dry leaves that still cling to some branches.

Our snowy walk was fast and purposeful, on my part anyway. We were trotting quickly along and I was busy Sniffing, a large part of my job description. My Person was busy doing what she calls Creative Musing or Composing In Her Head, which I know is also called Not Paying Attention. Suddenly it was obvious that we had passed a street sign but on opposite sides. We had captured the sign post with the leash and could go no further. "Go the other way," my Person told me. I obediently trotted in a half circle around the pole until I faced the direction we had come from. The leash was shorter and tighter now. "No, the OTHER way," my Person exclaimed. So I trotted another half circle, pointing back in the direction in which we'd first become stuck. I was now nearly strangled by the leash. A passerby snickered. A little red blush crept across my face. What could I do? I realize that my Person is somewhat hapless but she cannot look to me to solve ALL her problems.

Eventually we got unstuck and made our way home, the snow falling thicker and faster all the time. It was a good thing we found our way out of our predicament. In this kind of weather if you stay in one place too long you'll turn into a lump of snow and not be seen until next spring.

No comments: