Sunday, January 11, 2009

Softy


I was up to my usual tricks today - haunting the river bottom, pouncing in the snow banks, hunting for snow mice - the usual routine. Another dog showed up, and can you believe it, he only spoke German!! He wanted to play.

Now I am a Social Barker, not a problem, can quit any time, but this dog didn't bark at all and so it turned out we didn't have anything in common and we didn't play after all. In fact, this little guy seemed a little upset by my barking.

He trotted away and I bounded away and that was that. Or so I thought.

Then my Person spoke up. "You are a Ruffian," she said. Or maybe she said "You are a Roughian." I kind of like the idea of being a Ruffian - "Ruff, ruff," that is what I like to say to the world. But a Roughian?

I've decide to take up knitting just in case she meant spelling number two. I think knitting is not rough. It is genteel. It is soft and quiet and produces fun things to chew - like scarves and mittens and socks. It is accompanied by the soft click of needles and the soft sighs of knitters and causes cats to fall asleep (not that they have trouble in that area) and dogs to, well, cease barking.

Well, ruff or rough as the case may be, I am a knitter now.

No comments: