Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Trick or treat


The season of holidays has begun. First the world turns yellow and orange and then the leaves fall and the cold rains come and before you know it Halloween is upon us. Next up are some other holidays which interest me only because a lot of good food is served and my human cousins drop a lot of it on the floor under their chairs.

But Halloween is most compelling for a dog. On Halloween night the children of the neighborhood swap their jeans and t-shirts for costumes and show up right at your door in the dark, yelling and laughing and asking for treats.

This is my territory!! I am supposed to be performing for treats. And I am supposed to guard my house against incursions by ghosts, princesses and knights. So what happens on this special night? I get tethered to a chair in the kitchen and told to be quiet!! I don't get to charge the door. I don't get to scare the vampires and skeletons and ghost brides. I have to stay in the kitchen, alone, while Adric patrols and gets first crack at household defense.

What a horrid night. It was no treat for me, just a terrible trick.

No comments: