Monday, April 20, 2009

A bad day


I am a mutt. I am a mix of many of breeds of dogs. It seems all of us dogs carry traits from our ancestors. Mine make me want to hunt for chipmunks and stick my head into holes in the ground for a good sniff. Other dogs have ancestors who were trained to be to be valiant and to fight enemies to the death. That makes them extra loyal to their packs but dangerous to others when they get mad.

The pit bull dog is one of those breeds and they are caught up in a swirl of controversy: their human pack members love their ferocious loyalty, but their huge, strong jaws are a danger to those who get in the way of an aroused pit.

One got mad at me at the dog park and I ended up at the University Veterinary Hospital. My Person was terribly afraid and I couldn't get away from that dog or get out of its mouth once it pinned me. If a brave man hadn't pulled the pit bull off of me I might have been hurt much worse. I couldn't walk after I was attacked and my Person had to carry me for a long, long way to get out of the dog park. My friend Tasha was with me and she was very scared and so was her Person. I am recuperating now from a very bruised shoulder and leg and a deep puncture wound in my chest.

I hope that pitbull owners understand that they need to have complete control over and be very near to their dogs at all times. Maybe it isn't what their pit bull might do to them that is the issue. It is the incredible amount of damage to others that pit bulls are capable of that makes them a real danger.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Finn! You didn't deserve this and I hope your intrepid little spirit makes a full comeback. When your Person told me about you getting attacked at the dog park, I almost couldn't believe it, how could any dog would attack Red Dog, I wondered???

Fooey on pit bulls, and especially fooey on dog owners who don't keep track of their dogs. It's a doggone shame, is what it is.
All the best,
Veecee

Brandy Michelle said...

Hi Little Finn,

I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience with a mean pit bull. The dog park is supposed to be your happy place where you have happy Little Red Dog experiences.

Feel better soon.

Shame on People who don't look after their Pit Bulls!

Love,

B and Teddy (he will share his cookies with you.)

Anonymous said...

Im sorry to hear of Finns encounter but as someone who just stumbled on this story I dont want to take sides either.

Ive been to dog parks and have seen various breeds bully other dogs while their owners stand idly by chit chatting with other people oblivious to their dogs plight or bullying. I have seen dogs of all breeds with absolutely NO doggie social skills get themselves in trouble yet the dog who corrected the rude dog was the one who is blamed, chastised and condemned.

I whole heartedly agree that if someone has a dog, regardless of breed, that is easily overstimulated or does not tolerate rude dogs then the dog park is the last place they should bring their pet.

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone walked their dog over to mine or worse yet let their dog lose to approach mine without every asking if its ok, yet if my dog snapped at the rude approaching dog you can bet my dog would be blamed.

To me, dog parks are plain and simple a very bad idea. If you dont want to risk your beloved family pet then avoid dog parks and stick to having doggie playdats with dogs you know your dog gets along with.

Last but not least, lets not stoop to the same old prejudice, bigotry and stereotypes about pit bulls. Its no different than racial profiling in humans.

Hope you get well soon Finn!!