Sunday, August 4, 2013

Dog Days


What are dog days?

Every one of my days is a dog day. Can you imagine if something terrible happened and I started having cats days? I wouldn't get anything done because I would be asleep most of the time, my meal size would be sadly petite and I would have recurring problems with hair balls.

I think maybe dog days are that middle stretch of summer. The exhilaration of spring is gone, the birds have piped down a bit because they are so busy feeding their young (or encouraging them to feed themselves), the grass is tall, the threat of frost is impossibly far off...things actually are a little dull and lazy. For me anyway. My Person still seems to be tearing around intent of some foolishness or other, my Best Friend is busy with some sort of little gizmo he stares at for hours on end. My cat brothers are, of course, asleep. What is a Red Dog to do?

My big excitement of the summer - meeting my new friends from Japan - is over. I wish they were still here, taking me for walks and patting me and filming me doing tricks. They cooked a lot and cooking is one of my big interests. You never know when a chunk of food is going to miss the spoon and fall on the floor. At any rate I miss my new buddies and wish them well now that they are thousands of miles away. I hope every now and then they remember the Little Red Dog they met in Minnesota!

No comments: