Sunday, October 2, 2011

More goodbyes


I might as well give in to my Person's lachrymose mood about the seasonal change and say farewell to another summer companion.

I am a pretty swell creature, but even I realize how phenomenal is this little bird. It is so petite and so full of bravado, so hungry and so speedy. Wait, am I talking about myself again? No, I am talking about ruby throat hummingbirds, our tiny summer-long visitors, who sup nectar from my Person's flowers that she buys just for them, and who bring their young ones to my yard as they grow into tiresome teens and who fuss and bother and zoom about the yard with their buzzing wings and sonic chitters.

They are endlessly fascinating to watch, sitting on the clothes line, and sticking out their tongues to catch passing gnats and scratching their tiny chins with one little foot. From their looping pendulum courting dances to their mad aerial bombing routines, they are proof that there is always something interesting to watch if you go outside and sit quietly. Maybe it will be a spider that creeps out or a shy sort of bird or a cloud that looks like a white version of a Red Dog. Maybe it will be a squirrel that is all red or maybe, if you are lucky and have lots of red flowers, it will be a hummer!

No comments: