Tuesday, July 14, 2009

That darned cat


Most of you know I have some dramatic aspirations. I have answered a few audition calls in my time. I imagine plenty of other farm boys, listening to crickets on hazy summer evenings, dream of trodding the planks, a rapt audience agog as they do their full routine of "Sit!" and "Wait!" and "Leave it!" (This last met with thunderous applause.) Well, that's me all over - if you happen to have some treats on you.

Well the agent called, and to my ever-lasting astonishment, wanted a cat and not me!! Off went Pico and his companion Adric and left me home! That Pico couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. His ability to dissemble is nonexistent. He is incapable of rouse. And he can't even cock his head cutely when you ask him a question. I am a master of all of the above.

Pico isn't a scholarship student in outdoor obedience - as I just happen to be - and the only command he obeys is "Go take a nap on a comfy chair for 18 hours."

LIfe is so disappointing sometimes, and though it is mean to wish failure on others, I am struggling to heed the call of my nobler side. Good thing I am a dog, as you know what side will prevail...but if I were a cat...well, I guess I would have slept through all of this!

No comments: